Oh yeah, and those vampires--

4:39 PM Edit This 3 Comments »
SPOILERS~SPOILERS~SPOILERS~SPOILERS~SPOILERS
I almost forgot about Twilight! Naughty, naughty Mallory!!
Okay, so my grade for Breaking Dawn: *insert spitting noise here*
The ending was awesome, and I enjoyed Jacob's perspective. But this book pretty much took everything I DON'T like about the Twilight series- Stephenie Meyer's indulgence (meaning she can't not write about something she thinks of, and she puts in all her own personal fantasies which are a little over-the-top), Bella's whineyness, everybody else thinking Bella's some heroic martyr who is just soooo self-sacrificing and brave, really repetitive and superfluous descriptions, everything being just the BEST possible or the WORST possible thing like that that anyone anywhere has ever experienced, and pretty crappy writing quality- and multiplied it by ten. I mean, the punctuation alone in that book needed some s-e-r-i-o-u-s work. Stephenie's an amazing storyteller, but her writing leaves much to be desired.
And, okay. Bella's sex addiction FREAKED. ME. OUT. Me, Megan, and Jordan were seriously worried about our future personalities after reading the island. And Bella's tranformation was just plain gross. It did not add a single thing to the story. It was just Stephenie Meyer being overdramatic again and putting crazy stuff in there that were so unnecessarily and frankly, creepy and sick.
Buuuut... I loved Jacob's perspective on stuff, and I LOVED the ending- her endings are what really make these books great, and the Volturi make the story pure awesome any time they show up. I did enjoy reading the book, but I only read it again to make sure of my opinion of it. I'm probably not going to read it again for many, many, many years.
And some people say that Twilight is the next Harry Potter, or Meyer is the next J.K. Rowling!
HA!
WRONG!!
Harry Potter is just completely in a league above Twilight. Like it's not even possible for there to be a competition between them. I can read Harry Potter an infinite amount of times (I've read the first one 16 times) and it will never lose any of its enjoyment. And I realize new, special little things she threw in there every time. The Twilight books just aren't that kind of quality, and they certainly didn't have the 10 year of meticulous prior preparation that Harry Potter had. So, sorry. No contest.
I'm currently reading the now-legit leaked pages from Midnight Sun off of Stephenie's website.
Um, can we say deeelicious?
I believe we can indeed.
THIS is what gets us addicted to the series. Edward. The high concentration of Edward in this one- not to mention finally getting his perspective- is nothing short of amazing. This one I could read a good six or seven times before it began to lose its luster for me. I have read Twilight 4 times; it's still my favorite book of the series. New Moon is my favorite ending, though.
Oh, and Renesmee? Are you FREAKING SERIOUS! Someone get the vampire child abuse police on Bella RIGHT NOW!
And I forgot- I loved the wedding. That fantasy area I had no problems with. And Bella as a vampire is so much less annoying because she isn't constantly worrying about other people's physical safety. I think becoming strong must have made her finally realize how stupid her worrying was.
So yep. That's my jurisdiciton, biased as it is. Whatever. I'm not even going to bother finding a new obsession for the present- getting good grades needs to be my obsession for now. But Harry Potter always has that special corner in my heart- and Mugglenet still gets checked multiple times daily. =)

3 comments:

Angie said...

I loved your take on Breaking Dawn. I also did not feel it was as good as we all expected...however I will always be a HUGE fan of the series! That brings me to Midnight Sun...how amazing was that? Although it did just about kill me that it ended...before the meadow scene!

Nicole said...

I don't know if I am quite as harsh as you about Breaking Dawn, or the whole series in general, but I do agree that I had much higher hopes for the final book. I thought the middle left much to be desired and then it all of the sudden came to an exciting ending. I'm with you on HP...it doesn't compare.

Anne said...

Yeah. Still taking it all in. Diddo on BD though.